Friday, January 18, 2013

Why I Hate Pinterest


Disclaimer: This rant may be controversial and will no doubt sound like something a hipster would complain about. I am not a hipster..



Pinterest has been in the forefront of just about every woman’s life in the last year (and even some men. I’m looking at you, Jon Acuff). Everyone seems to use it. I can’t seem to have a conversation with anyone without them mentioning something “cute” they found on Pinterest. Maybe it’s because I hate the word cute, maybe it’s because I’m just anti-establishment, but I hate Pinterest.


I have a Pinterest account. I made one two years ago just to see what my sister had pinned so I could figure out what to buy her for Christmas. I have over 100 followers but despite my friends (and even one teacher) trying to force me to use it over the years I have never been interested in it. I have interests. I like design and typography and antique things, but writing an artist's name on a piece of paper will work just as well as pinning their artwork.
I love a creative mind. Creativity that comes from inner thoughts or external stimuli (nature, the city, being with people) is the best kind of creating. In the design world it is constantly stated that simply copying someone else’s work isn't really creating at all, it's copying. That’s what I feel Pinterest does. It flaunts copying. That might be great for someone who feels that they could never be creative, but if you never stop copying you will never challenge yourself to be better at creating.

The 11th Commandment is “Thou shalt not copy”. And let’s be honest...who likes a copycat? When I was in the 5th grade I decided I wanted a charm bracelet, so I got one though the impressive begging skills that all children have. Not long after I debuted* my bracelet one of my friends showed up at school with one of her own. Then another friend. Then some girl who wanted to be our friend but was too weird. So I stopped wearing mine. (Oh gosh. Maybe I AM a hipster.) I still have some of my charms though. Just to remind me that I used to love Eeyore.

And let’s not forget all the wedding stuff. It’s everywhere. Even women who do not have a ring on their finger spend hours pinning wedding ideas “just in case”. When I get married I will have to start punching people in their ribs if they suggest I look at Pinterest for ideas. I’m THAT serious. I’m not dating anyone nor do I sit around planning my wedding but I know I will plan my wedding the old-fashioned way: using my own head.

Sites like Pinterest have completely changed the way many people use the internet and it’s not necessarily a good thing. Classic networking and the way we share ideas has been transformed in the last twenty years, but I wish it were different. I yearn for the days when ideas were shared in magazines and letters and people would get together to discuss their interests, not sit in front of a computer for hours connecting with their “friends”. My greatest memories are times when I have sat and had dinner with friends and engaged in real conversation; not the times when I’ve stared mindlessly at my computer for hours. Technology is a great asset but only if you don’t abuse it.

I have a challenge for all Pinterest addicts: Turn off your computer, put down your phone and go create something yourself. Get inspired by the life around you. Start a library. Buy a coloring book. Do SOMETHING other than staring at a screen.


*I’ve never had to spell the past tense of “debut”. It looks weird. But the Google says I’m spelling it right so I’m leaving it dadgummit.

No comments:

Post a Comment