Friday, January 25, 2013

I've Been Humbled by a Piece of Plastic

I've been humiliated. And humbled. But in a humiliating way. Because it was by plastic.

I decided yesterday morning that I needed a latte from Starbucks. Partly because I was tired but mostly because I really love soy mocha lattes. So I drove over to Starbucks and was planning on going through the drive thru because I'm lazy and didn't want to get out of the car. Oh the irony.

As I was pulling up to the line a woman driving some sort of big black wish-it-was-a-Mercedes car coming from the opposite direction was sort of pulling in at the same time. I was there first though I couldn't pull all the way into the lane because of the angle and amount of room I had. So the lady pulled up kind of next to me but I thought "surely she sees that I was here first and that this is my place in line and she'll just have to wait for me to pull up before she does". Oh no. She didn't do that. As soon as the line moved she almost hits my car to skip me in line. 

I was angry. I struggle with road rage. An unfortunate characteristic I've inherited from my father. And I proceeded to call the lady in front of me "such a butt" for the next few minutes. After she ordered, then I had ordered I reached for my wallet to pull out my debit card. I had it in my hand and dropped it. Right down the crack between my seat and the center console. And it fell. All the way under my seat. And I couldn't reach it for the life of me. I tried every angle I could, even taking off my watch to make my wrist smaller, but to no avail. I had no cash. I don't own a credit card. That card was my only hope. 

It was then I realized there was only one way I was going to retrieve my lost card: I had to open my door, get out and reach under my seat. Which in my mind is probably the most embarrassing way to handle the situation. Who gets out of their car in a drive thru? Crazy people, that's who. I had to be a crazy person. 

You know when  you realize that the only way to fix something is to do something so out of the ordinary and uncomfortable that you can't fathom actually doing it, but you have to do it so you just laugh? I started laughing. There was no other way and I was about to feel embarrassed. 

As I got up to the window I informed the barista of my predicament and that I was going to pull forward a little bit (they have some metal shelf hanging off of the window and I didn't want to be smooshed) because I had dropped my card under my seat and had to retrieve it. And I did just that. Retrieving my card and walking up to the window I had unintentionally changed the original purpose of the drive thru to a walk up and handed my card to the barista to retrieve my beverage. 

I have to wonder if I had not been angry or taken offense to that woman cutting me off  if the Lord would have not had my card fall under my seat. Humbling things like this happen to me often when I get angry about trivial happenings on the road and I know it's just the Lord's way of showing me that I am nothing, I have no right to get angry about someone cutting me off and I need to learn to bless people instead of calling them butts. 

The moral of this story is:


No comments:

Post a Comment