Thursday, January 3, 2013

Dreams

I wouldn't say I dream more than the average person. I don't remember everything I dream and often wake up wishing I could push out even more details from my mind of what I had been dreaming.

I do, however, dream very repetitive dreams. Not so much that it's the same dream over and over again, but in my dreams I often visit the same places. There is my house, my church and my school, all three exactly as they exist in real life, yet always slightly different. Then there is a warehouse store, a mall, a parking lot and a big house. Many people have been in my dreams and we have had a myriad of silly or scary adventures. Sometimes I can hover really high above the ground, but I've never been able to fly.

Every now and then I'll have a dream where I'm someplace new. These dreams I cherish because I feel like they're a gift from the Lord. Call me crazy but I am a firm believer that dreams and visions in the night are the best way for God to communicate to his children. Heck, even the design & name for this blog was given to me in a dream!

I love my relationship with my Father because I know He shows me places and gives me ideas while I sleep, because it's the one time in the day when I listen to Him without talking back.

Last night I had a dream I was back at my former high school. I was in my uniform, I threw on my monogrammed sweatshirt over my polo, grabbed my purse and headed to the cafeteria for lunch. I went in the line just as if I had never left and ordered a grilled cheese with turkey (which is way fancier than we ever really had in the cafeteria). I sat down with a group of people that I had never eaten lunch with. They were all from different social groups and even different grade levels but we had one thing in common with me: we were in concert choir together.

The man across from me, and I say man to say he really was a very burly man, with a big beard and long hair (neither of which were allowed at my school), started humming a tune in a beautiful bassy voice. Soon others around him started filling in other parts and I sat and marveled at how talented my friends were. When they stopped I told the man that it was a beautiful tune and that he should write it down.

"I wouldn't know where to begin" he replied, confirming my suspicions that he was not in the choir at all and did not even go to the school. I grabbed a piece of paper and scribbled a few lines to look like sheet music and began drawing notes as if I knew exactly how to write music. Confirming with my friend next to me if one note was a flat or regular I finished the tune. Then I woke up.

I don't know about you but I take that as a gift. I just wrote a song in my sleep. So I grabbed a piece of paper, sat down at my piano (I play the piano now. Pianos are cool.) and figured out the tune just as the bassy man had sung it. I don't know what I'll do with my tune. Maybe I'll start a band called Bassy Beards and it'll be our hit. We'll see.

Have you ever dreamt of anything and turned it into a reality?

No comments:

Post a Comment