Thursday, March 7, 2013

This Taco is Making Me Loco

  This post will be not only a review of the new Cool Ranch Doritos Locos Taco at Taco Bell but also a reminder of my first review for the Nacho Cheese Doritos Locos Taco that was released last year.


     The time has come, my friends! The day has finally arrived. I have eaten a taco and am anxious to tell you of my feelings toward that taco. I might write the taco a note to see if it likes me back. I would love to go on a date with the taco. Uhhh...but first let's take a journey. A journey to almost exactly one year ago-- to my first experience with the Nacho Cheese Doritos Locos Taco. Here is a small excerpt from my review:
    

              "After my last bite of this taco I reminisced on the food I had just consumed. The main problem I had was the actual flavor. It lacked the overwhelming flavor of Doritos, which I didn't expect. I thought my mouth was going to be drop-kicked with flavor, but this did not happen. It was salty, kind of boring, it was missing something. A special sauce? Baja maybe? Nacho cheese? I really wasn't too impressed. There might have been a chance that this could have been the most delicious taco in the world, but at the end of it I was just glad it was over. I also really didn't enjoy having my hands covered in Dorito dust at the end. I know some folks enjoy that aspect, but to me it just made this already messy taco even messier."

        And here is my original chart illustrating the tastes that I experienced while eating my taco:



        Needless to say I wasn't a fan. And I haven't eaten one since then. However when I heard that they were releasing the Cool Ranch version of this taco I thought "here is their chance to redeem themselves". I enjoy this flavor of Doritos. If I had to choose between the two I would always choose the blue bag. Red bag isn't favorite. So when I woke up this morning I was excited to try this new taco for lunch. 

(Even though I do not enjoy crunchy tacos, I try and review these tacos as if I did enjoy crunchy tacos.
I also ordered the supreme version of this taco and, once again, my local Taco Bell location were a little crazy with their sour cream dispersion. That is also reflected in my review.)

        Upon opening my taco from its wrapper I was immediately disappointed. Apparently my Taco Bell were not given the new taco wrappers for this new taco and I found myself staring at a Nacho Cheese colored wrapper. I made a raspberry noise and gave them a thumbs down for this one. 


         I've gotta be honest that this was a little disappointing. There's no way they could have run out of the wrappers already so I have no idea what excuse they're using for this. After discarding the wrapper I was greeted with the lovely sight of a taco shell covered with those little bits of spice that I have come to love so much through the years. 


        Then it was on. First bite impressions: This is tasty. The more I ate the tastier it became. This shell wasn't salty and gross like the other one. It added just enough flavor to the taco to make it a delightful experience. Even though I do not typically enjoy crunchy tacos, I would get this taco again because these are the flavors I experienced as I ate this taco: 


         Yes there was still too much sour cream. But that's between my Taco Bell and I. All in all, I'd say this is a taco worth trying. Is it the best taco I've ever had? No. Is this a halfway decent option from Taco Bell? Definitely. I think the next time I order it I will go with the supreme again but instead of the sour cream have them add some Baja sauce. I typically add Baja to my soft tacos and it's very tasty. I do believe it will be even tastier with this taco shell. 


2 comments:

  1. I think Taco Bell should use this as their official review. On a side note, if we went to Taco Bell together, I would request your extra sour cream. In essence, my taco proportions would be mostly sour cream, then brilliance, then happy thoughts. Actually, I eat mexican food just so I can have sour cream. This is all very sad, I know. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would gladly give you my extra sour cream! I love the stuff but i need it to be in proportion to everything else.

    ReplyDelete